As Managing Partner, North America of Squire Patton Boggs, Alex Shumate’s duties include providing strategic and operational guidance in pursuing new business opportunities regionally, nationally and internationally and in addressing issues arising from Squire Patton Boggs’ 14 offices across the United States.
He is also a leader of the legislative counseling and administrative law activities of Squire Patton Boggs, where he counsels clients in business regulatory and legislative matters involving local, state and federal governments. Previously, he served as chief counsel and deputy chief of staff to the governor of the state of Ohio and as assistant attorney general to the state of Ohio.
Alex has been selected by his peers since 1999 for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, recognizing his legal abilities among esteemed lawyers nationwide. He was named Best Lawyers' 2013 Columbus-OH Government Relations Practice Lawyer of the Year. He has also been consistently selected as an Ohio Super Lawyer.
He provides strategic business counsel to numerous large corporations headquartered in the Midwest and serves as a corporate board member for The J.M. Smucker Company and Cincinnati Bell, Inc. Previously he served as director of Nationwide Financial Services, Inc.; Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company; The Limited, Inc.; and Bank One Corporation.
Listed sixth in the 2010 compilation of Columbus' 100 most powerful business and community leaders, published by Smart Business Columbus, his community activities include serving on The Ohio State University Board of Trustees, Capitol South Redevelopment Corporation and Wexner Center for the Arts. Alex was the recipient of the 2011 United Way of Central Ohio's Key Club Community Leadership Award. He is a former chair of the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce and The Ohio State University Board of Trustees.
Alex is a Fellow of the Ohio State Bar Association and a former member of the Columbus Bar Association’s Board of Governors. He is a life member of the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference.
He has been inducted into the Erie County Chamber of Commerce Gallery of Achievers for his accomplishments in law, business and service to the state of Ohio. He was also inducted into the Junior Achievement Central Ohio Business Hall of Fame for his exemplary leadership contributions to the legal, business and civic communities.
* Providing business regulatory counsel to the largest healthcare system in the state of
* Providing legislative counseling to several of the nation’s leading financial services
providers and insurance companies.
* Assisting an international management consulting firm which secured the state of Ohio’s
largest technology consulting contract.
* Counseling one of the nation’s largest specialty retailers on strategic corporate issues
including providing advice to the corporation’s Special Committee on Inclusion.
* Advising the Ohio Chamber of Commerce on legislative proposals regarding tax, general
business and environmental issues.
* Providing strategic business counsel and regulatory advice to one of the nation’s leading
direct selling companies.
* Representing the Ohio Business Coalition in the Ohio General Assembly during the
debate and passage of the Workers’ Compensation Reform Act.
* Advising the Council of Smaller Enterprises in the legislative and administrative law
process leading to the passage of Ohio’s healthcare reform legislation.
* Providing counsel to various Ohio Ballot Issue Committees.
* Lobbying the Ohio House of Representatives and Ohio Senate on behalf of legislation
affecting consumer reporting agencies.
* Representing developers and real estate clients before local and county zoning and tax