A. Malachi (Mal) Mixon III is Chairman of the Board of Invacare Corporation (IVC:NYSE), the leading worldwide manufacturer and distributor of medical products for the home health care market. 2011 sales were $1.8 billion. Mal led a leveraged buy-out of Invacare in 1979, when sales were $19 million. In 2009, Invacare was named to the Fortune 1000 and the Industry Week Manufacturing 500.
Mal serves on the public boards of The Sherwin-Williams Company (NYSE) and Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ). He also is a founding investor in MCM Capital Partners, LP, a Cleveland leveraged buyout company. Additionally, Mal has been an active investor in several successful Cleveland-area ventures which became public companies including Royal Appliance Manufacturing Company, creator of the “Dirt Devil” vacuum cleaner, and STERIS Corporation (NYSE), a world leader in medical sterilization products. He recently led the purchase of five bank branches in Florida which became Naples-based Encore National Bank.
Mal has received numerous awards including:
• Life Time Achievement Award by the Cleveland chapter of the Association for Corporate
• Paralyzed Veterans of America Corporate Leadership Award
• The Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award, the school’s highest honor
• The Harvard Business School Club of Northeast Ohio Entrepreneurship Award and the
Business Statesman Award
• Charter membership in the Cleveland Business Hall of Fame
• Outstanding Philanthropist Award by the National Society of Fund Raising Executives
• The Cleveland World Trade Association International Business Executive of the Year Award
• Master Entrepreneur of the Year by Inc. Magazine
• The Cleveland Clinic Foundation’s Distinguished Fellows Award and membership in the
• Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award
• Prevent Blindness Ohio People of Vision Award
• Ohio Hospital Association Donald R. Newkirk Award
A graduate of Leadership Cleveland, Mal's current civic activities include serving as Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees of The Cleveland Clinic Foundation and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM). In 2007, CIM opened Mixon Hall, a state-of-the-art performance hall. He also serves on the Visiting Committee of Harvard Business School and the board of MWV Pinnacle Capital Management, a fund investing in minority ventures. He recently endowed the “Barbara and A. Malachi Mixon III Institute Chair in Ophthalmology” at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Additionally, Mal made a significant gift to the Case School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University to name the Think Box Building which will house inventors and entrepreneurs. He has established a Mixon Scholarship in each new freshman class at Harvard College for students from Oklahoma and Northeast Ohio and endowed a chair in entrepreneurial studies at the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University.
Originally from Oklahoma, Mal is a graduate of Harvard College (BA) and Harvard Business School (MBA). Between degrees, Mal served four years in the U.S. Marine Corps, including a year in Vietnam, attaining the rank of Captain. Combat decorations include the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster and Navy Commendation Medal with Combat “V”.
Mal and his wife, Barbara, have two children, Elizabeth and Ki, six grandchildren, and live in Hunting Valley, Ohio. He enjoys hunting, golfing and playing the piano.